BE PROACTIVE ABOUT THYROID HEALTH
Knowing about thyroid issues and paying attention to your thyroid health is vital to your wellness. The statistics might surprise you: 42 million Indians have a hidden thyroid disorder, and women are more likely than men to develop a thyroid disorder at some point.
The thyroid produces two main hormones that travel to all parts of your body: T3 and T4. These hormones control the rate of many activities in your body, including how fast you burn calories and how fast your heart beats—the things that make up your personal metabolism.
A thyroid that’s working properly will produce the correct level of hormones needed to keep your body’s metabolism working at a rate that’s right for you. Appropriate treatment, such as hormone replacement, can control the disorder even before the onset of symptoms.
Take a self-assessment test to learn more about thyroid disease risks.
Questions to Ask Your Doctor.
If you think you might have a thyroid disorder, consult a doctor as soon as you can. Bring this list of questions with you as a part of your comprehensive visit:
- What kind of thyroid disorder is it?
- What are my blood levels?
- How often should I be tested, if additional testing is recommended?
- What is the cause of the condition?
- How serious is the condition?
- What treatment do you recommend?
- What are the side effects of my treatment plan?
- What will be result of the treatment?
- How soon will there be a decrease in symptoms?
- What is the prognosis?
Information provided is for general background purposes and is not intended as a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment by a trained professional. You should always consult your physician about any healthcare questions you may have, especially before trying a new medication, diet, fitness program, or approach to healthcare issues.